Doe & Renzo

So today is Day 3 of the Modern Day Fairytale class I'm taking, and I've already learned so much!  I've started a story loosely based on Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi, and I wanted to post some of my progress with it; especially for my family :P

***

When I arrived at the carnival, Renzo was leaning against a wooden "Tunnel of Terror" sign.  His hands were in his pockets and his eyes were closed.  I wished I could photograph him in that moment, the lights spilling over half of his upturned face.  The shadows made his already sharp features appear sinister, like a feral creature.  He hated to have his picture taken.  
His eyelids parted as heard me approaching, and I could tell by his slow blinking and slack gaze that he'd been drinking.  There was little his face could hide from me anymore- I knew his body and its workings too intimately.  When we were in those first pawing, puppy-like stages of a first love we'd joke to each other, "I'd know you by the smell of your skin, I'd know you by the feel of your teeth."  He'd held me on such a pedestal back then, and I'd loved the fawning, the attention.  Now, years of "on-again-off-again" later, the height was dizzying, and I could feel myself straining to keep my balance.
"DoeDoe," he sing-songed to me, holding his hand out for me to take.
I hated when he called me DoeDoe, I'd told him it wasn't flattering to be likened to an extinct, notoriously dumb bird.  But, as I'd learned early on, Renzo only listens to Renzo.
I took his warm, rough hand in both of mine and stood on tiptoe to inspect the blush of his cheeks.
"You're drunk."
"I've been waiting for you.  Come on this ride with me."
With a cock of his head he indicated to the ride behind him, the "Tunnel of Terror".  I glanced behind him at the wagon, hooked onto rusty metal tracks, idling before a large black "tunnel" that snaked along the perimeter of the carnival.  Cold, dank air wafted out of the yawning entrance.
"I really don't want to," I wrinkled my nose, "It doesn't look fun at all.  Let's get some cotton candy."
I started to tug him away, but his grip tightened and when I looked up at him,  his face was stone.
"Doe.  Come on.  I need to talk to you."
"Okay.  Let's go." I breathed.

The ride gave a jerky start and I suddenly wished I'd brought a sweater; the air was even colder inside the tunnel.  The "terrors" seemed to be a fog machine, spooky sounds, and images of monsters projected onto the walls every few feet.  I risked a glance over at Renzo, who appeared strained, his eyebrows knitted in concentration.
"Renzo?"
"Doe, I can't do this anymore.  This town.  You.  It's all the same, every day."
His words spilled out, rushed, and his eyes remained glued to the floor of the wagon.
My mind went blank.  My mouth opened but I couldn't form any words for a few seconds.  I felt my blood begin to thicken, chugging slowly out from my heart.
"What?"
Immediately I knew that was a dumb question.  I'd heard him fine, I knew what he said.  I just couldn't believe he'd said it, or that he could mean it.  We'd been each other's best friends for so long- who were we without each other?  What was I worth without his love to validate me?  My limbs felt like paper; hollow, easy prey for even the lightest breath.
"Some of the guys are leaving tomorrow. They're gunna just drive out, see where the road takes them.  I'm gunna go with them.  This isn't enough for me, Doe... This town is like quicksand.  Nobody ever leaves.  And you're so happy here.  You'd probably want to stay here forever, letting it suck you in, working at the same Bait and Tackle, living near your mom.  That's not me.  I don't want you to anchor me here.  I've had a great time with you, but you're just… the same.  Always the same."
Beads of sweat were forming at my temples, immediately crystallizing in the cool air.  My knees made a clacking sound, knocking together as the ride bumped to a halt at the end of the tracks.  Renzo slid out of the wagon and loped across the carnival towards the parking lot, not looking back.
I stayed seated for a few minutes, unsure if I could manage standing.  My legs felt too thin and unstable.  My eyes finally started adjusting from the darkness of the tunnel to the rose glow of the sun setting.
I looked down, and my body reflected how my heart felt- all the security sucked out.  I was a wooden shell of a girl.  A puppet.

Comments

Popular Posts