My Artist Statement

I started materializing the inner chaos of my brain into illustrations around 2008.  Now, my hobby has bloomed fully into a passion; resulting in an Associates Degree of the Arts earned from Iowa Western Community College, and subsequently being accepted into SUNY Empire to obtain my Bachelors Degree in The Arts.

Using mostly traditional materials and occasionally touching them up digitally, I have been making my art under the moniker "Feral Doe" since the beginning.  To me, it encapsulates the dual (and often conflicting) sides of myself that you see in my work.  On one hand you have a fragile, young doe; but this is a feral doe.  It's a small and curious creature, but also a fierce one.  This contradiction is where I draw inspiration for my works; as well as from fairy tales, every day magic, and all things whimsical.  My art has been described as having a "zine-like feel", and combining a "cute image with a sharp message."

I often use my art to capture emotions that I've felt, in hopes that it will lend validation to others that have felt that way too.  I'm very authentic with what I present; If I've created it, I've felt it.  It wouldn't feel genuine to me if I tried to express a feeling or situation that I'd never actually felt or experienced.


Feral Doe embodies the idea that even if you feel small or unnoticed, you can act bravely and boldly.  Size does not determine strength.

Comments

Popular Posts